Chapelle des Pénitents de Treignac

Financed
Play
241 %
12,027€ Pledged out of 5,000€
67 Donations
Finished
Help us to save the Chapel of the Penitents Treignac
Art
Treignac
Tax reduction

The monument

Chapel of the Penitents of Treignac place des Pénitents Treignac, monument listed historical monument since 1932

The brotherhood of the penitents of Saint Jean Baptiste de Treignac was founded in 1637. After a first place of prayer and meeting located in "Le village des Eglises" near the old church Saint Martin, the penitents get permission to build a church in the Faubourg de la Pradelle outside the ramparts. Founded by Messire Pierre de Pompadour, the chapel was built with subscriptions between 1646 and 1661 to serve as a place of worship and meeting room. During the Revolution, a political club uses it for its political meetings and today, it is also a place of cultural and artistic meetings.

Présentation OF the projeCt

The Mayor of Treignac and the municipal team in place since 2014 have decided to stop the damage caused by the humidity present in the chapel. This work will make it possible to program the restoration of the present paintings, the altarpiece and, in the longer term, the restoration of the objects of worship and to be able to replace them in the chapel in complete safety.

The Annonciation and the Nun in prayer are the two paintings that require priority to be restored

For several years now, the services of the Ministry of Culture, the Town Hall, the heritage protection associations present in Treignac have been saddened by the deterioration of the works of art present in the chapel, paintings or numerous objects of worship 

stored on the platform that served as a meeting place for the White Penitents.

Various elements of the building were restored in the late 1970s in several stages thanks to the initiative of the City Council in place at that time under the mandate of Mr. Paul Pouloux (repair of the gallery, side galleries, vault nave, stained glass, interior walls and carpentry).

The building's dewatering work will complete these renovations and will help reinforce its interest among the many tourists and visitors to the city of Treignac.

Traces of moisture on the walls

What will serve the collecT ?

Amount to collect

Given the total amount of work to be undertaken, the restoration of the paintings whose condition is deteriorating, and pending the payment of any subsidies from the department of Corrèze, the Region or the State, the sum that we wish to collect amounts to:

15000 € corresponding to the amount of the work of treatment of the humidity

The achievement of a first level of 5000 € will allow this year to begin the process of moisture treatment, two other levels representing the same sum will complete the work.

If the amount of 15000 € was to be exceeded, the sums collected would also be entirely dedicated to the restoration of the chapel of the penitents (paintings, objects of worship and altarpiece).

Who are we ?

The city of Treignac from the old bridge

The municipal team decided in 2019 to stop the damage caused by the humidity in the Chapel by launching an ambitious program of restoration work.

Several associations, craftsmen or companies of Treignac are mobilizing in favor of this project:

Tourist Office Vézère Monédières Millesources

"Amis de Treignac" who work to preserve and enhance the heritage of Treignac and manage the museum of arts and popular traditions,

"Fêtes corréziennes en Musique " that value the Chapel through various concerts and which organize in particular on July 6, 2019 a concert with the baritone Jacques François Loiseleur des Longchamps whose recipe will be dedicated to the restoration of the painting "The religious prayers."

"Treignac Projet" which allowed the organization of a dressing - room during the summer of 2018 organized in a former business center bought by them and it was about 1300 € that could be collected for this project. This initiative will be renewed during the summer of 2019.

The Borzeix-Besse chocolatier, labeled as a living heritage company, has created a chocolate bar decorated with the image of La Chapelle for this campaign.

Hotel Restaurant La Brasserie, labeled Logis.

How to support this project ?

You can support this project:

- by making a donation online by credit card on this page after registration on the Dartagnans website

- by making a bank transfer after registration on the Dartagnans website

- by sending a check, on the back of which you will include your e-mail address, worded in the following order : Mairie de Treignac, sent to the following address:

DartagnansCountry {NAME OF YOUR CAMPAIGN} 1 rue de Châteaudun75009 PARIS

THEY SUPPORT US / PRESS

La Montagne édition de Tulle : http://www.lamontagne.fr/tulle-19000/actualites/pourquoi-la-chapelle-de-treignac-a-elle-aussi-besoin-de-vos-dons_13587383/

Monédières Journal inter paroissial Treignac, Le Lonzac, Chamberet

Credit agricole centre France (à confirmer)

Département de la Corrèze

THANK YOU TO ALL OUR DONORS! CONTINUE TO FOLLOW US!

Contact e-mail: [email protected]

https://mairietreignac.fr/ 

https://www.facebook.com/19260... 

To know more: History of Treignac

It is around the current "Saint Méen Fountain" (right bank of the Vézère) that the first inhabitants of Treignac were concentrated in the Gallo-Roman, fountain which at the time is a sacred source. In the early Middle Ages, a real village developed around churches Saint-Martin, Saint-Léobon and Saint-Jean, now missing.

Around the year 1000, a first dungeon was built on the enormous rocky peak, almost inaccessible, in a loop of the Vézère known as the peninsula, located on the left bank of the Vézère. Around 1250 the Comborn, powerful feudal family, which holds most of the Lower Limousin, takes possession of the fortress of Treignac. It is with the arrival of these lords and the construction of the old bridge, that Treignac becomes an important commercial crossroads, quickly a fortified city is built outside the walls of the castle, of which it remains the door Chabirande.

Treignac is free city following three charters: 1205, 1284 and 1438. Having suffered several sacking at the time of the seigniorial wars and wars of religion in the 16th century, the city was rebuilt from the Renaissance.

At the time of the Revolution, following the abandonment by the lords, the castle is at first invested (granary, prison, ...) to finally be dismantled, most of its beautiful stones on have been reused on the buildings of Treignac, we still see on the facades of houses.

The historical city center with the old grain market

In the middle of the 19th century, the Finot bridge (1824) and the Bargy bridge (1840) allow to open up Treignac, which allows industry and trade to develop, at the time of the industrial revolution that empties the countryside. In the 20th century, new streets are opened. On July 20, 1904, the line of railway Seilhac - Treignac of Paris Orléans-Corrèze is inaugurated. This line was closed in 1970. The years after the war were conducive to economic development and Treignac benefited greatly from the construction of the EDF dam from 1948, particularly in economic and social terms with the arrival of many foreign workers and the development of employment and trade. It is also the time of the birth of tourism with an attractiveness and a reputation of the city inns mentioned since 1830, and also sought after sites of fishing and hunting.

The city of Treignac is located on the path of Rocamadour which follows the path of Saint Jacque de Compostelle.

Finally, after 1959 and 2000, Treignac will host in 2022 the canoe kayak world championships.

Rewards

Pledge 10 or more
Or 3.4€ after tax deduction
4 donations
Thanks
nominative thanks, registration as patrons
Pledge 30 or more
Or 10.2€ after tax deduction
11 donations
Gift
nominative thanks, registration as patrons, gift from the tourist office
Pledge 70 or more
Or 23.8€ after tax deduction
2 donations
Guided tour of the city
nominative thanks, registration as patrons, guided tour of the city
Pledge 100 or more
Or 34€ after tax deduction
18 donations
concert
nominative thanks, registration as patrons, invitation to a concert in the chapel
Pledge 500 or more
Or 170€ after tax deduction
4 donations
Book about the History of Treignac (limited edition)
nominative thanks, registration as patrons, invitation to a concert in the chapel, limited edition of the book "general history of Treignac on Vézère" by Jean Vinatier
Pledge without a reward
28 donations
 
Pledge an amount of your choosing